Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to my bee-blog!

I decided in April 2009 - once my neighbours had already taken the plunge - to start keeping bees. I have been interested in bees since I was a teenager, and at school (back in the UK) I studied the life-cycle of the honey bee for my "O" levels. However I never did anything more than take a passing/peripheral interest in bees, until I came to St. Louis, MO, that is.

When the chance came to share experiences (and equipment) I jumped at it. After all, a problem shared is a problem halved! My neighbours, Fred and Susan, have been great. We have helped each other build our hives and have shared notes and information. I suspect I would never have done this without their, but especially Susan's, initial interest.

We both started on 18 April 2008 using a package of bees obtained and organised through the Eastern Missouri Beekeepers Association - a fantastically run and popular club - which is based in St. Louis Missouri. You can find a link to their web site at the edge of the blog. They have been brilliant at explaining beekeeping for the total novice and have held our "newbee" hands through the process so far. My thanks go out to them and all the contributors to the numerous forum run on their web site. There have been some great stories and tips!

Packages were installed after a thorough briefing and really everything has gone like clockwork since - well at least for me! I have fed the bees when they wanted (or ran out of) food, and I have added hive boxes and supers when I thought things were going well.

So far my girls have not let me down! The blog entries that follow are intended to track the major events I have gone through in the first few weeks of keeping bees (and hopefully beyond) and I hope my observations and comments will prove of interest to others who are also starting out - perhaps you will find some comfort in my experiences. I have learnt that I am really not far from help and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment