Sunday, October 10, 2010

Parent Update!

I thought it was about time I looked through the Parent Hive. The weather has been lovely and warm and it just seemed a good idea! While I did the inspection I took the opportunity to replace the existing hive box with another one that had a hole drilled in it as an alternative access.  Anyway, I also shuffled about some of the frames (equalized the hive) so that the empty frames are now on the outside and the cluster is in the middle.  I reckon there are:

   2 empty frames
   2 to 3 frames of brood
   4 to 5 frames (or thereabouts) of honey and pollen.

I also topped up the syrup.  The bees had taken some and I added approximately 1 litre more. I would have added even more but I had not made up any syrup. I planned to top up the syrup today.

This morning I was watching the bees with Matthew and they seem to have found a very yellow source of pollen - good news.  But this afternoon (about 4pm) there was a lot of activity outside the front of the hive.  The new opening was available and I wonder if there was some robbing going on.  I put the stopper in the new hole and within a couple of minutes the activity around the outside had subsided.  I later filled up the syrup inside the hive - I added another 2.5 litres.  Was there any robbing?  Did I stop it by replacing the stopper?  I don't know, but I think I'm happy some syrup is finally being taken in a reasonable quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment