Friday, December 10, 2010

A warm day.

After a period of some pretty cold weather it warmed up today - but it will be only for today if you believe the weather forcasters!  It reached about 10C (50F).  So my bees were out taking advantage of the warm temperatures; they were on cleansing flights, removing debris and dead bodies from the hives etc.

I say hives, but actually there was really only activity in the smaller hive (the one that had the SHB problem in the summer).  The larger hive didn't have much going on at all.  I was concerned enough to crack open the hive and look inside, and I did see some bees; I didn't want to take too close a look as I didn't want the hive to cool down inside. So, am I worried?  Well perhaps a bit, but there is nothing I can do if the hive dies off.  So I'll just have to sit tight and wait it out.

I'm still wondering if my hives are in the best position.  Susan's hive gets some direct sunlight in the winter (mine don't get any) and there was quite a lot of activity at her hive!  Perhaps I would have been better off placing them so that they would have been in the winter sunshine - perhaps next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment