Monday, May 9, 2011

Progress in the City...

It's been a couple of weeks since the hives were installed in the city (and in the case of one, moved).  I spent some time checking on them yesterday.  Just a quick look inside to feed the bees and check on their development.

Both hives are doing very nicely.  Strangely I think the hive that is not in the Botanical Gardens (MOBOT) is doing ever so slighly better. This hive has more drawn comb in the top hive box, but really there's not much in it.

I fed about a gallon of 1:1 syrup to each hive.  The MOBOT hive has taken about 2 gallons in two weeks whereas the other hive has consumed just one.  I think we will see that increase soon.  Why?  Well, I have moved a couple of frames of brood up into the top hive bodies from the lower hive bodies.  I'm hoping this will stimulate some building.  I'd like to have frames in both hive bodies to be drawn out by the end of the month (if not sooner). The if the nectar flow is still on I can see if there is any chance of bulding out (and filling) of some supers!

Here are a few pics of the installations:





No comments:

Post a Comment