Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mead making!

So my latest venture is to make some mead.  I found a receipe published by Gary Reuter who works at the Department of Entomology at the University of Minnesota. He gave a really good series of talks at a conference arranged by the Easterm Missouri Beekeepers Association in 2010 so I thought if he knew about bees (and he does) he must know about mead!

Anyway the receipe is dead easy to follow. I have made two one gallon batches so far.  Each gallon has used honey from a different hive; my white queen hive and my blue queen hive.  I have used the same yeast and followed the instructions as closely as I can. This means the only difference between them is the source of the honey! Both batches are currently bubbling away in the basement!

I hope I will be able to discern a difference between the two brews once they have matured - I'm targetting Christmas for the tasting!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're making mead! Let us know how it turns out, and I might give it a try too.

    What type of yeast did you use? I've never used champagne yeast, but I've heard it's good at not leaving yeasty flavor behind.

    Also, I've not heard of Fermaid K that is on the receipe list. Where do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris

    I'm not sure if you got my earlier reply attempt. I thought I sent you one, but now I'm uncertain!

    Anyway, I used a type of brewing yeast (I think it was called "1116"). I got this and all the other equipment I needed (except the honey!) from the St Louis brewing company who are located at Rt 141 and Clayton Road, next to the ACE Hardware store.

    Fermaid K is a yeast nutrient. I don't know if it made a difference, but what I can tell you is the yeast got to work within minutes of me adding it to the honey and water mix. Again, you can get this from the brewing company. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete