Sunday, September 4, 2011

Creamed Honey and Mead

I carried out an exercise in creamed (set) honey making yesterday.  This is the stuff that doesn't run all over the place when you put it on your bread/muffins etc.  It's actually dead easy to make, although I probably should be careful what I say as it will be another 5 days before I find if the receipe I used works!

All you do is heat the liquid honey to about 60C (140F) in order to remove any sugar crystals. Then you let it cool to about 35C (95F) before adding some seed honey i.e. a small proportion (1:9) of already set honey, leave it to stand for about 12 hours, pour it into jars and then keep at about 14C (57F) for five to seven days. I bottled my honey this morning and so will have wait until next weekend before I see if it will be OK.  How to I manage to control the temperature at 14C?  Well I found an unwanted wine fridge on Craigs List!

I also decanted my month-old mead into another demi-john (carboy to us US folks) this morning.  I got a mouth full while I was syphoning the stuff into a clean container. It's a bit rough, but it certainly has promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment