Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 6, 2009

I'm told there will be nectar available until about mid August; then the flow will pretty much stop. So, there will be quite a bit of work to do by then if I am going to get any honey. The last time I inspected the hive I reckon the built out supers were about half full, although no cells were capped off. Will they manage to fill any frames by the time the flow stops? we will have to wait and see. I guess I'll get a better idea this weekend when I plan to take a look next.

I do not always manage to look through the entire hive at each inspection. This time I stopped when I got to the bottom hive box. Not least because I saw what I wanted to see i.e. the Queen (in the top hive box) plus lots more lovely capped brood. No eggs or larvae but hey, the Queen is there and she certainly knows what she's doing!

The other reason for stopping the inspection - the bees were beginning to get unsettled so I thought "leave them to it, they know what they're doing". I mean what's the point of disturbing the peace just for the sake of my curosity? Perhaps next time I will start in the bottom hive box and work my way up! The other problem now is that the hive boxes are really heavy so I am less inclined to move them.

No signs of any problems with beetles or mites, or any other pests - just lots of happy, healthy contented bees! My muttering away to them when I have a look around must be doing some good!

No comments:

Post a Comment