Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting Colder...

Its been nearly a month since my last post and we've had our first cold spell of the year, and a bit of snow. The other day it dropped to -5C overnight. Needless to say there hasn't been much going on outside the hive. I've seen a few corpses pushed out, or perhaps they were bees who went out thinking some warm weather was on the way, but got caught out! Well that's natural attrition I suppose. I don't plan to get into the hive any time soon, although I may peep in to see what has happened to all the crystallized sugar that was in the feeder.

So what to do when the bees are dormant? Well the smart thing would be to plan for next year. My plan – yes I have one – is to start a second hive. So I better think about organising the kit etc.  I may even try to harvest some comb honey this year. I suppose I better think about what I’m going to do with all this sticky stuff! Who want's some?

No comments:

Post a Comment