Saturday, July 3, 2010

Honey Harvest!

What a brilliant day!  Thanks to Eugene, Susan and Fred, and Iris.  I managed to harvest about 24kgs (or 53lbs) of honey from 3 supers! That's between 4.5 and US Gallons of liquid gold.  It's just amazing what one hive of bees can produce in just a few weeks!

Apart from me, Iris managed a haul of about 60 to 70 lbs from 2 hives and Eugene, well I really don't know. He had 10 supers so I think he must have collected about 150 lbs of honey by the end of the day! And he's doing it all over again tomorrow with another 8 supers!  Watch our Kirkwood Farmer's Market.

Anyway, I now have two large buckets of honey sitting in the living room waiting to be bottled, and distributed!  I will post some pics later, so bear with me...

A more sombre day tomorrow.  I have to move my 2 hives to Eugene's bee yard.  I hope we manage to do this without harming them.

No comments:

Post a Comment