Friday, August 13, 2010

My Girls Rock!

Well the beetle infested hive is now doing very well.  The queen I installed a week or so ago is now laying and I saw some nice brood coming along!  Brilliant!

The hive also looks nice and clean and all the 'slimy' honey comb has now been been removed from the hive.  Some honey has been retained too, so that's a bonus!  I reckon there is still some work to do before this hive will be able to go through the winter - a lot of feeding and possibly some feed supplement to make up for any lost pollen.

I have put a sticky board under the hive to see if there is a varroa problem, but I'm not expecting this. There hasn't been much in the way of brood cells in the hive for a while, so varroa shouldn't have been able to find any brood to get into to breed.

nevertheless I will check again on Sunday, but with luck I will be in a position to feed this hive up and get it through the winter!

Well done girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment