Saturday, August 14, 2010

Screened Bottom Boards - Definitely a Problem.

I'm certain now.  Screened bottom boards - the type that sits above a base board to enable the use of a sticky board - are a problem.  I opened up my Daughter hive this afternoon and found piles, and I mean piles, of Small Hive Beetles. They just hide under the screen away from the bees and breed!

I think the best way to deal with them may be to install a normal baseboard with a screen so that debris can fall out of the hive, but which isn't too big to allow beetles in. This coupled with a West Trap and entrance reducer should I think  enable the bees to fight off an onslaught of beetles. So, I therefore intend to modify my bottom board this evening and install a West Trap, once I have done a Varroa count.

Back to the Daughter hive. The third hive body was still not built out so I removed it, partly to give the beetles fewer places to hide and also partly to get the bees more focussed on the brood chambers.  The supers are however filling up with honey which is interesting.  Depending on the Varroa count I measure tomorrow I will keep these on longer. But if I record a high count I will treat and so remove the supers. I will probably put the supers in the freezer to kill any beetles and then store for later extraction.

Despite the beetles, at least the bees seem healthy and have not been over-run inside the hive.  All in all it's best to keep on top of the beetle problem and trap before they become an issue!  Bit of a no-brainer really!

No comments:

Post a Comment