Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A High Count?

I did a varroa mite count; 61 mites in 48 hours.  I'm not sure if this is high or not, but I suspect it is borderline with regard to treatment.  So, what do I do?  I reckon treatment is on the cards, but I'll do a bit of research and asking around tomorrow.
STOP PRESS: I decided to treat with Apiguard.  Although the count is borderline, there is still likely to be 4 weeks of reasonably warm weather, so it seems that adding treatment is a good idea. I therefore put on the small entrance reducer, closed up the holes in the hive bodies and put the Apiguard tray on top of the brood frames under an upturned top feeder.  I closed off the feeder entrance with tape.  I'll be in the hive again in a couple of weeks to repeat the treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment