Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cracking on...

It's nearly April, the clocks "sprung forward" last weekend, so what happens?  5" of snow fell yesterday!!! And it's quite cold, above freezing as I write this, but only just.

As I put full division board feeders on the hives last weekend (for the first time this season), I thought I really should get in and top them up this weekend.  The weather wasn't great in the week, so today (Sunday) was the only chance I have had to look in for a week.  It was cold, but warm enough in the sunshine, and there was no wind.  No bees were flying.

I opened up the hives and both had a healthy number of bees. I was told of a trick in the week.  If you open up the hive, wait 30 seconds, but add no smoke, a 'ring' of bees should appear on the top of the frames and this will tell you the size of the cluster.  My girls are on about 5 or 6 of the 9 frames in the top deep.  Nice! They were also very calm about me opening the hive.

So how much feed had they consumed?  This week as I said has seen some been poor weather - cold and wet - and so it was not good conditions for foraging, flying and collecting pollen, and sure enough, the syrup I added last week was pretty much gone. I had to fill feeders in both hives which is about 3.7 litres (OK a US gallon).  The hives are certainly cracking on now, and with a couple of weeks before the queens arrive this is good news.  I will definitely have to inspect the hive during the week to see how quickly the syrup is being eaten.  They could be going through a gallon in just 3 or 4 days!

My nucs are being painted and will be ready to receive brood.  Anyone interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment