Sunday, April 17, 2011

Earth Day in Forest Park

The EMBA had a stall at the Earth Day event held in Forest park today.  There was HUGE interest in keeping bees and in general bee health. OK so we did have an observation hive, which always helps bring in the public, but nevertheless tons of people took a very genuine interest.  Several took away information on starting hives and I hope they will take the plunge, get some bees and come to the beekeeing meetings.  Who knows I may even have sold one of my nucs!

On Friday I went to the International Institute of St Louis' farm to check out thier site and see how it will be for some bees. Little did I know there was an article in the STL Post Dispatch (also on Friday) about the project. Really interesting stuff is going on there and I'm really excited about being asked to help in my own little way.  There's a video which very neatly explains what it's all about.  Anyway I hope I'll have a new hive installed there this coming weekend! The site is great. OK there's not much visible right now, but lots of planting going on will see to that.  My plan would be to have a single hive there this year and hopefully split it this time next year! But I better not get ahead of myself just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment