Tuesday, April 26, 2011

International Institute of St. Louis

The other nuc now resides within the city bounday in McRee Town, on the site of an Urban Farm that is being run by the International Institute of St. Louis (THEISTL).  I am very excited by this development and I will be blogging the news of the bees and their development on this site!

The THEISTL runs programs for refugees who came to the USA and helps retrain them. I understand the idea of the farm is to help refugees to adjust to growing different crops in conditions they are not necessarily used to.  I also heard that there is a Nepalese guy who was a beekeeper back in Nepal.  Im looking forward to hearing his view on how I manage the bees on the site! and to find out how my bees differ from the ones he was used to dealing with!

Anyway, I moved the bees from my porch first thing this morning. I closed them up late last night while it was raining heavily. How brilliant an idea of mine was it to put the nucs on the porch! I think the unrelenting rain meant that all the bees were sheltering in the hive and so I'm pretty sure I took all the bees to the 'farm'. There were no stragglers seen hanging around the porch today!

Whitney getting involed!
The new apiary!
View from the landing area!
So my thanks go to Whitney the farm coordinator and to Zach for building a very nice hive stand!  I hope this proves to be a fruitful liaison for us all!  Can wait to get back on Friday and see how they have been behaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment