Tuesday, September 18, 2012

All these amazing things we find out about bees and we let this happen...

I despair.  I really do sometimes.

As this article points out scientific data can be, and often sadly is, manipulated to suit the interests of polititians (and the major interest groups that fund them). It seems even the UK government (like all governents they are supposedly there to support the people) is paying no heed to the warnings being made about bee health.

When will a disaster be sufficiently significant for them to take action? Our bees are already struggling to cope against what are proving to be very damaging chemicals. Our urban areas are quickly becoming major sanctuaries for bees, let's hope we won't find they become the only habitat they can survive in.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree!

    I'm glad that my bees are within flying distance of several major suburban sub-divisions, most of which have highly manicured lawns, gardens and landscapes. I find that the bees have lots of variety of both nectar and pollen during a great majority of the year.

    However, I'm sure a percentage of the same well manicured lawns, gardens and landscapes didn't get to look so nice without some chemicals, either pesticides, fertalizers or both.

    It worries me that the bees are potentially bringing back some of the chemicals or checmical traces.

    While I don't use any pesticides or fertalizers at my own house, I can't stop those around me within flying distance of the bees.

    My hope (faint though as it is) is that the agriculture industry will reverse (or at least slow) their use of chemicals and maybe even the average homeowner as well.

    Seriously, take a look at the lawn-and-garden isle at the local stores...there are towering shelves full of checmicals begging for the average homeowner to buy.

    I'm affraid we're not on a sustainable path for our land, crops, wildlife or ourselves.

    I'd read about Monsanto's new committment to Honey Bee health, and how they can be better stewards of the honey bees (and other insects) in the future, and I'm optimistic they'll bring positive results.

    I just hope it's not too late.

    ReplyDelete