Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My introduction to beekeeping!

I don't think I really knew it at the time but when I think about it my introduction to beekeeping really started thanks to Haslemere Educational Museum.  The museum has had a remarkable observation bee hive for as long as I can remember!  Not just single frames of brood and honey behind some perspex you understand, but a full blown hive with windows on all 4 sides.  You can remove any, or all, of the panels and get a really good look at what's going on inside. I was always fascinated by this.


When I was a kid the hive used to be housed inside the museum, nowadays it has it's own shed in the grounds.  You can while away many hours inside a warm dry shed and watch the bees come and go about their business.


A good friend of mine took her daughters to see the bees this year and they kindly took these pics for me to blog. The Museum is a brilliant local attraction and in 2012 won "The Telegraph Family Friendly Museum Award" or "Britains number one museum for families", as voted by families.  This is a big deal as it was voted No.1 from a not-so-short-list of 600!


No comments:

Post a Comment