Thursday, October 1, 2009

Winterizing!

Well tomorrow, if the weather holds, I will take a look to see how much honey the bees have stored and I'll decide whether I need to feed them.  I am farily confident the girls have been busy and I will not have to feed them up - at least not yet. But it's prudent to take a look.  Eugene has given me a few pointers so I will bear these in mind - one box worth of honey in the top and the brood cells in the bottom.  I'll also take the opportunity to clear out the hive beetle trap and to re-insert the entrance reducer - perhaps not all the way to the smallest opening but I will reduce it to the middle one at least.

Then I suppose if all is well I'll start some winter maintenance - painting the supers and even ordeing a new hive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment