Tuesday, March 30, 2010

3 Frames of Brood!

I had a look inside the hive this afternoon - just to see if there has been any significant action.

I reckon there are now about 3 frames of brood.  One, a very full frame in the middle of the middle box (with the queen present on it).  I saw plenty of larvae on this as well, so that's coming on well.  However, there seems little else going on in the middle box, and nothing in the top box; perhaps some pollen being stored in the built out comb I put in there, but no new comb-building.

The bottom hive box has plenty of honey in it, and I would guess about 2 frames of brood.  Brood was present in the middle of the box on a couple of frames, but did not cover the frame, like it had in the middle hive box.  I think a lot of bees may just have emerged from these frames, so this may have been the reason for the apparent emptiness of the brood. I think I saw some small larvae here, so the queen may be actively laying in both hive boxes.

I hope this means things are still on course for the 17th April.  I really must sit down and work out the steps I need to do in the days before she arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment