Friday, March 19, 2010

She's off!

Oh I really must have more faith in my girls....!

Today is a lovely early spring day. Warm, dry and no wind.  So I thought that as the weekend weather forecast is for rubbish cold and wet weather (maybe snow), I'd take a look inside, just to see if anything has happened.  I was worried that there appeared to be no brood rearing.  Well, how wrong I was!

My Queen is up and running, and how!  The top box has no real activity yet - just a few bees checking it out and checking out the division board feeder.  The middle frame in the middle box however has a hand-sized section of brood and some lovely fat larvae. So the queen is clearly doing things, but I couldn't find her on the frame.  I had a look at another couple of frames in the middle box, but not much was happening.

I then looked in the bottom box, and "Kapow!" I think about 3 or 4 frames now have brood as well as larvae.  Some cells have even got signs of recently emerged bees i.e. 'holes' in the some of the capped brood. So my queen has been laying eggs for at least 3 weeks and I was needlessly worrying about her.  I think if today's showing is anything to go by we will be OK for April 17.


No comments:

Post a Comment