Sunday, March 14, 2010

I'm Ready!

Right, so I now have my new hive equipment assembled and painted and I'm ready for the bees to do their stuff - the weather just needs to be with us!.

The word at the beekeeper meeting was that I probably shouldn't have reversed the hive as there wasn't 4 to 5 frames of brood in the top hive box.  However "leave it bee" was the suggestion, as I probably haven't done any harm. I've not been dismayed by my fit of enthusiasm however, as plenty of bees have been out and about this week bringing in pollen and nectar. 

I was thinking about adding the third hive box this weekend but the weather has been nasty - wet and cold - so I didn't! I will therefore wait until a fine day (later this week?) before I check on the hive and add the box. I was planning to add the division box feeder to the third box and maybe even treat for nosema as well. Again this time I'd better check and take some advise from some more experienced beekeepers! I want the bees to gain a head-start and build out the foundation before my new Queen arrives - plenty of feeding is on the cards! 2:1 syrup.

Well, as I hinted, the Queens do not now arrive until 17 April (delayed a week because of poor weather) so I still have time to prepare and get the third hive box going.  I have a good feeling there has been some brood rearing this week as we have had some excellent days, I just can't check for myself!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Phil, I love the pictures and also love the fact you just started raising bees. I live in Des Peres and plan on researching the hobby this summer and winter and then make the jump next Spring. I wish I would of caught the bug earlier so I could start this year. I guess my first step will be to find out if Des Peres has any regulations on keeping bees. Take care and I'm looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if you're interested in bees, you should come along to the Eastern MO Beekeepers Association monthly meeting. They meet the 2nd Wednesday of each month at Powder Valley.

    ReplyDelete