Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mobot Hive Inspection

I took time to go to the Gardens today and check out the hives there.  I found I had to cut back some undergrowth from in front of the hives! Everything is growing so fast right now!

Anyway both hives are doing nicely. Despite the rain in the past week there is still nectar coming in and a lot more still out there I reckon. 

The Established Hive no longer has any brood in the supers. I think putting an empty super under the brood stopped the queen from getting up into the supers now. Happy about that.

The Swarm Hive is also doing well. I really must do something about the name! There remains a lot of brood in the supers! I went through them to try to find the Queen but couldn't see her. I think, and hope, she was in the deeps. But just to make sure I applied a bit of smoke to try to force her down and then put on an excluder. I hope that means the brood will hatch and then get filled with nectar over the next month. However, if I see larvae next week I'll know she's still in the top of the hive! 

Next inspection June 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment