Monday, June 24, 2013

Nuc Development

I spent a very sticky 30 minutes or so in Ladue this afternoon (June 24) moving the nucs on.  It was 95F when I started! The nucs had been in single deeps since I installed them on June 7.

I added second deeps to both nucs today. I didn't go through the hives to look for the Queens, but I saw some young brood and larvae and that was enough for me today. Just too hot for a detailed look!

Before today there were 2 supers on the single deeps (over a queen excluder). So before adding the second deeps I removed the excluders in order to give the bees easier access to the supers for drawing out comb and filling honey! I don't think the Queen will cross the empty deep frames and move into the super, well not before harvest anyway.

So all I need now is to just get new stands, bottom boards and top covers on these hives and the apiary will be looking very nice indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment